Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

Evanescent by:Carlyle Labuschange w/ Interview


Title: Evanescent
Author: Carlyle Labuschagne
Series: The Broken Series (#2)
Genre: SciFi/YA/Dystopian
Publisher: Fire Quill Publishing
Release Date: May 19 2015 (Second Edition)
Edition/Formats Available In: eBook & Print
Blurb/Synopsis:
Her fall has just begun. Only his touch can save her from the shift that could destroy it all. Within my blood runs a thing our kind calls the Shadowing Disease. It shadows over, and bends everything to its will. When the first blood-shift came, it tore through flesh and blood, threatening to bend me, break bone, shatter my mind and entrap my heart with its honeyed, seductive poison. It came with vicious intent, moving my thoughts and altering me forever. The shift has caused a rift within me. No one was safe when it entrapped me in its claws of foul lust. But I have the only antidote against the evil that becomes me- his touch alone has the power to release the spurs of sweet darkness that clung on for dear life.
I knew what I had to do; the desperation pulled my mind with the deep determination of a hungry predator. By the time the revelation raised me from the dark dungeon of my bounds - it might have been too late.


But, he smiled. “I don’t need your thoughts, Ava, I can feel your intentions, I can feel… you. We are the same now.”
I narrowed my eyes, my flames slowly subsiding once again, heavy emotion crippling my powers, fear, doubt. Get a grip, Ava, I willed myself. He is manipulating you, testing your boundaries, learning how to work you.
“Perhaps I should thank you for killing me,” he said with tangible cruelty.
I dangled from his grip as it tightened around my throat, feeling him holding on to my life. I tried to numb myself against him, his touch, because him being near me would always affect me in some way. He would always represent my fall. He pulled my face to his, our lips almost touching. I drew him in with my stare. I waited until his lips were so close, his smell repulsing me, our breaths melting into one. I went in for the kill. Thankful for my petite body and gymnastic abilities, I was able to raise my legs between the tiny gap of his chest and mine, and kicked into his metal plate as hard as I ever imagined I could, using all the confusion and anger he was inflicting upon me to propel myself the other way.
I screamed as his grip around my throat almost ripped it right out. But my instinct was quick, and a shockwave exploded throughout my entire body, temporarily stunning both him and me. A low buzz, and then he was at me again. His golden chest plate crushed me into the wall, and for a moment I lost all strength. I regained myself, stuck between the cold stone and Enoch’s unrecognizable face. His body threatened to drive me right through the wall. Once again, instinct was quick. My flame raged out alongside a huge, electrical, shockwave – bigger, brighter and with more wrath than before. I had to get away from him. He couldn’t know that he still had an effect on me, and I couldn’t allow it; he was a threat to my entire being.











Where do you dream of traveling to and why?
First on my dream traveling destination list was the USA, reason being 90% of my readers originate from the US, I also might have traveled there when I was younger and fell in love with the country. But to travel as an author, signing books and getting to know her readers a bit more -  that dream was realized in 2014 and then again this year in June at the UtopYAcon now Utopiacon writers/readers event in Nashville. On my bucket list of awesome places to visit is Paris France – and for now it may very well look like I will be visiting Paris during 2016.  But if we talking Holiday destinations – I’m thinking Peru, Bali and Mozambique. I just love tropical places.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned while writing your books?
While writing my book - how much fun it could be. How characters seem to take a physical form in my mind and how sometimes I don’t want to leave those places.
 At times I surprise myself at the scenes I set, the detail in which I picture and capture the worlds I have created comes from a place I don’t get to see every day, and sometimes didn’t know how to access but once the floodgates are open… It’s limitless.
  Right now what I am mostly working on is my characters, adding more dialogue and carrying the storyline through the insight of my characters.
I would also have to add that editing is very much part of the writing process – and the amount of work that goes in to the book after the writing, is a grueling process, sometimes tedious exercise. But once you get to the final editing phase you appreciate the edits with a new kind of love, the book truly comes to live after the edits and what you learn about writing is exciting, especially for me as English is not my first language.

Tell us about your family.
I have two son’s both blonde blue eyed sweethearts that can be just, if not more challenging than I was at school. They are into so many things, from sports, PlayStation games, musical instruments, dancing, even thinking of acting and singing. My husband is my anchor, the one who pushes me when I want to give up. Him and I met at high school and have never fallen out of love since.

How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?
I do not use a formula, I have tried and failed that process – I overthink everything until I hate the plot and characters and the story seems to fold in on itself. My stories mostly develop from something that inspires me – A song, a Scene out of a movie, or even something I saw on the streets of my hometown during that day.
My plots and characters come to me best when I sit in front of my PC and start typing. Character names are sometimes hard to find and to stick with, thank goodness for internet!

What do you do to unwind and relax?
You mean not writing? It would have to be swimming, going for walks, watching a good movie or episode of my fav series. My ultimate relaxation bubble is being in nature, getting caught up by the beauty and miracles of everyday life that we take for granted. I would also include reading to this list but most times I can’t stand the suspense or conflict that I so dearly writing about in other stories that I get stressed and scared and scream at the characters.

Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or movie?
I have this neck for relating to each character in a way, it’s something I can’t help. I want to understand what motivates characters, stories, how they work and feel. It helps me feel bonded to other’s experiences. This will allow me to develop a better understanding of the characters I create, or better said those characters that seem to find their way to me.

Where are your fans most likely to find you hanging out?
At my house. But my kids are getting older and my husband is going stir crazy so if I am not at book fairs, traveling or writing at home we would go and do things with the kids like riding bikes, going to the park, snowboarding is something new to the family. I’d really have to say there are no habits or routines to my life, I’m very much a - on the spur of the moment girl.

What are your hero and heroine of the story like?
Intense, moody and flawed, because life is always throwing obstacle after obstacle in their way. I am very big on writing characters that grow and change by being affected by the people they come across in their lives. Flawed because the reader needs to relate to their mistakes and realize mistakes is part of our growth.

Do you ever write in your PJ’s?
Hehe. Yes, usually it was because my writing hours were always after bedtime or before sunrise, now that I am a full time writer it’s pretty much the best to just get up and get to it. Unless of course it’s summer, then I’ll be in my swimming costume! (Always living the island life.)

If you could invite any 5 people to dinner who would you choose?
Just five – holy cow how to choose from a very long list of awesome people.
If it had to be a dinner where my intensions were to grow in my life experiences as a author.
1)     Mandela. Not only is he a hero to all, but being a fellow South African I lived some of it during the apartheid era. But to get to go through his struggle his emotional battle internally with himself would be a life changer for my outlook on life and the human perseverance.
2)    Raine Thomas (author) I love that girls, I get to meet up with her in Nashville once a year for UtopYacon but never really get to spend one on one brain picking time with her.
3)    Joan of Arc. I am intrigued by her story.
4)    Chelsea Fine, also one of my Besties I get to meet up with once a year in Nashville. This woman writes exceptionally well and well picking her creative mind would be an honor.
5)    Hedwig Eva , better known for her Silver Screen exploits, actress Hedy Lamarr a pioneer in the field of wireless communications following her emigration to the United States. What an awesome combination an inventor and a superstar – Id find her extremely fun and fascinating. 



Carlyle is a South African award winning author, with a flair for mixing genres and adding loads of drama to every story she creates. For now she is happy to take over the world and convert non Sci-fi believers.
Her goal as an author is to touch people's lives, and help others love their differences and one another by delivering strong messages of faith, love and hope within every outrageous world she writes about.

"I love to swim, fight for the trees, and am a food lover who is driven by my passion for life. I dream that one day my stories will change the lives of countless teenagers and have them obsess over the world literacy can offer them instead of worrying about fitting in. Never sacrifice who you are, it’s in the dark times that the light comes to life."

Carlyle used writing as a healing tool and that is why she started her very own writers support event - SAIR bookfestival. 

 "To be a helping hand for those who strive to become full times writers, editors, bloggers, readers and cover artists - it’s a crazy world out there you don’t have to go it alone!"
Founder of SAIR Book Festival
Co-Founder of Fire Quill Publishing.
Founder of Help build a Library in South Africa. 









1 comment:

  1. Thank For the Awesome Post and Featuring Evanescent by Carlyle Labuschagne Today :)

    ReplyDelete