Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Beyond New Eden by H.S. Stone & Guest Post


Title: Beyond New Eden
Author: H.S. Stone
Series: Stand Alone
Genre: YA Post-Apocalyptic
Publisher: Self Published
Release Date:  Mar 8 2013
Edition/Formats Available In: eBook & Print
Blurb/Synopsis:

Eve 142 has lived her entire life in the domed city of New Eden, home to the only surviving humans after the War. Like all of the inhabitants of New Eden, Eve 142 is a clone. Together with the other clones, dubbed the Adams and the Eves, she leads a safe, predictable existence. However, Eve’s life changes when she causes a tragic accident to befall one of the Adams. As retribution, she and her counterpart, Adam 142, are banished from New Eden. At first, Eve 142 considers their punishment a death sentence because she grew up believing the world outside the dome was uninhabitable. She is wrong. Forced to live in the Wastelands, Eve and Adam discover many new truths about the outside world and, more importantly, the truths about themselves.

Excerpt
As soon as we stepped outside the cave, I noticed a difference in our surroundings. Instead of the clear skies I’d seen every day so far, dark clouds blotted out the sun. Half of the sky was consumed by the thick gray overcast. The clouds also cast a blanket of shadow upon the land at the bottom of the mountain.
Wind whipped through my hair, tinged with a peculiar odor. Higher up, these winds must have moved even faster because I could see the clouds advancing rapidly in our direction.
“Rain’s coming,” Adam said.
The menacing curtain of darkness inspired both fear and awe. Naturally, I’d never experienced real rain before. I didn’t even know much about it since most of the pictures I’d seen from before the War weren’t taken in the rain.
Uncertain of the answer I wanted to hear, I asked, “Should we still explore the mountain today?”
Adam examined the approaching clouds. “We’d better play it safe and stay inside the cave until the rain passes.”
I returned inside, but I stayed near the entrance to watch the storm clouds. The wind died down at the mouth of the cave, but I still smelled the same peculiar scent where I stood. It wasn’t strong, but the air possessed a distinct odor I was unfamiliar with. Did rain have a smell?
In the distance, the sky flashed brilliantly. A few seconds later, I heard a rumbling boom. Lightning and thunder. I grew excited at the prospect of being in a rainstorm for the first time. We were the first humans to experience a rainstorm in a hundred and sixty years.
Leaving the sanctuary of the cave, I stepped out onto the rocky path. It didn’t take long for the first drops to hit my face. The rain quickly built in intensity. I stood looking up at the sky, letting the rain wash over me. I opened my mouth and let the drops collect inside before spitting them out.
Despite the wind, I didn’t feel cold. I felt wonderful. It was like taking a shower but the water was everywhere. I couldn’t escape it and I didn’t want to.
“Eve!” Adam called out. I turned around to find him staring at me from the mouth of the cave. “What are you doing out there?”
I smiled. “Enjoying the rain. Come on out and join me!”
Adam shook his head and went back inside. Too bad, his loss, I thought.

Places to find: Beyond New Eden



How to Meet Deadlines and Remain Sane


That's a good question and one that I fortunately don't have to worry about too much. :-)
As an indie author, the only deadlines are those that I impose upon myself. I don't have a publisher breathing down my neck. That said, writing isn't a full-time job for me, so I have to juggle my day job with my writing commitments. As with anything in life that requires balance and compromise, the key for me is knowing your priorities. You just can't complete everything that you want to do, so you have to decide what the most important things to you are. For me, those things are my family, my day job (because it's what pays most of the bills), and reading/writing. That means that I hardly ever watch TV, I don't get to play video games, and I have to control the amount of time I spend surfing the net. My schedule is still fully packed, but at least I know that the things I wind up working on are what's important to me.



Even before he could read, H.S. Stone wanted to write a book. Fascinated by the stories that seemed to leap from his kindergarten teacher's books, he went home and wrote his own book, with illustrations and bound by staples. Of course, since he didn't know how to read or write yet, the book was full of gibberish.

Undaunted, H.S. eventually mastered the ABC's and continued to write throughout his grade school years, adolescence, and into adulthood. Despite earning a degree and working in a field not related to writing, he continued to pursue his writing passion.

H.S. Stone's publications include novels aimed at Young Adult and Middle Grade readers as well as several short stories. He currently lives with his family in the San Francisco Bay Area. 

Where to find: H.S. Stone
Blog HS Writing 


No comments:

Post a Comment