Pages

Friday, July 3, 2015

Silently Still by: Julieanne Lynch w/ Interview



Title: Silently Still
Author: Julieanne Lynch
Series: Stand Alone
Genre: Young Adult Coming of Age
Publisher: Self-Published
Release Date: May 19 2015
Edition/Formats Available In: eBook & Print
Blurb/Synopsis:
Everyone is entitled to making their own choices in life, but a decision can make or break you. For Jacinta Kelly, hers came in the form of running away from everything that reminded her of her roots.
Living in rural Ireland was hard enough, but living with her mother’s mental illness and her obsession with her garden took its toll. One winter, the world as she knows it changes. Jacinta becomes aware of her own mortality, and how fragile her existence truly is.
Alone and frightened; to live or die, the choice is hers.



Ever since the social workers came to the house, Rosemarie was like a ticking time bomb. No matter how many times Jacinta tried to talk sense into her, her mother tried to convince her that they were being watched. That they were targets and only time would reveal the true extent of what the government wanted. 
How someone could spiral so out of control in such a manner seemed unbelievable, but it was happening right before Jacinta’s eyes. The woman she saw was no longer a replica of who she once was. She had become an entirely different person. A shell that hid secrets, embarked on the oddest rituals, her paranoia destroying what was left of her relationship with her daughter. 
Jacinta put the blade away, wiped the excess blood, and covered the wound with some gauze and tape to make sure there were no leakages. She glanced out the window and saw her mother digging yet another hole. The March sun shone down on her, highlighting the natural copper tones in her hair, making her look pretty, but her hands and arms were a mess. Scratches, small wounds, discoloured skin–a mess that made her look much older than she was.







Amazon Kindle
Amazon Print






Julieanne Lynch­­–Silently Still
Where were you born and where do you call home?
I was born in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, and I call Northern Ireland home, even though I spent my younger years in London, UK.

What or who inspired you to write?  And how long have you been writing?
When I was sixteen, I used to take extra English and my tutor at the time noticed my love of literature. He gave me a limited edition of Great Expectations and told me to follow my dreams. I owe much of my gratitude to him- Joe Rice. His belief in me and my abilities has been something that has encouraged and inspired me, especially when I hit moments of self doubt. He passed away earlier this year and his death has left a profound emptiness, but I dedicated my latest novel to him and that gives me great comfort. And I’ve been writing ever since.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When I signed my first publishing deal back in 2011, I knew then that I was very serious about my career.

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?
My most recent book is SILENTLY STILL, and to sum it up in 30 words, hmmm:
A gripping tale about loss, grief, love and hope. Even in our darkest of hours, love and strength can help us through anything. Even when we don’t see it.

I love reading the warnings on the blurbs for many books. If you could write a warning label for yourself as a person or an author, what would it say?
Unpredictable, slightly snarky, but lovely and makes great tea.

Do your characters try to make like bunnies and create ever more convoluted plots for you? Or do you have to coax them out of your characters?
Yes! All the time, which often has me going way off course from my original outline, creating a whole new subplot, but mostly, these little subplots only add a new dimension to the original storyline. I love it.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life?
In Silently Still, I do base some of Jacinta’s darkness­­–her journey on much of my own struggles with depression and self mutilation. Although the circumstances that surround her ordeal are much different to my own. I do, however draw on my own experience and use it as a catalyst for the story.  

How did you come up with the title?
The title is a prevalent theme and motif throughout the whole book. From the location, to the struggles my protagonist enters in her silent battle with a mentally ill mother, right through to her silent release when letting her darkness consume her. It really is a very moving story.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Absolutely. Whilst some of the themes may be construed as dark and quite unsettling, being a mother of two teens, I see firsthand the struggles they face on a daily basis. From low self esteem, to playground bullies, to having their hearts broken from first time love/crushes. So within the pages of Silently Still, we are shown how far our struggles can take us, giving us a choice, some choice’s not being the best - but they’re the best of a bad bunch at the time. Hope and courage are two reoccurring messages I want my readers to grasp. Without both we can easily allow our burdens to control our lives.

Do you have plans for a new book?   Is this book part of a series?
This novel is a stand alone, although I’ve had some reader request a novella to follow the story of my characters. So I am considering that. But right now I am working on a ghost/thriller, Beneath the Lighthouse. It’s a fun and creepy ready.

How did you come up with the title and cover design?
The title I knew from the get go. I moment I saw Tory Island from the cliffs of Gweedore, the words Silently Still just wouldn’t leave my mind. The cover itself has the theme of the flowers and rain that are present within the pages of the book. My cover artist, Joseph Thomas James, did an amazing job at conveying what I wanted.

Who designed the cover of your book?
Joseph Thomas James, (aka. Joseph Eastwood) who just so happens to be a wonderful friend of mine.

Where do you see yourself in five (5) years?
Still writing, but hopefully a household name (one can dream, eh?) And still up to my neck in dirty uniforms, cleaning runny noses and being a busy mother of a crazy bunch.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
The South of France. I love Grasse, Nice, Cannes–to me it is just perfection and my family and I can never get enough of the southern French sun.

Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?
I would love to meet Anne Rice one day. I think she is just a wonderful author, a perfect example of where hard work can lead us, as well as being an advocate for the Indie community.    

Are you a self-published (Indie) Author or big traditional published?
I am self-published.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
In the future you can expect a lot more books. I tend to write the kind of stories I wish to read and because of my varied taste, I like to write in various genres. I had my first contemporary romance, Unbreak Me, ready, as well as my paranormal novel, Storm of Edge and Beneath the Lighthouse to publish. I also have my first crime thriller, Stone Cold near complete and a graphic novel, based on my character Antoine Vilniv from The Shadow World series to come out.
Of course, this is all whilst my Shadow World series is adapted for film - which is another exciting venture for me.

What was your favourite chapter (or part) to write and why?
Chapter 33 was a very hard part to write, but I enjoyed it the most because it drew all my emotions out. Not one part of my soul was left intact once those pages were written and I take great joy when I read it over and over again. Of course, I cry each time, but that’s the beauty of it. It just reminds me of how strong the scene is.

What do you do to unwind and relax?
I’m addicted to Netflix and can’t get enough of my favourite shows or finding new ones to obsess over. I also love nice food, good wine and the odd night out dancing. But mostly, I love to unwind with my feet up, no noise, only the sound of me munching on my favourite snacks.

Have you ever read a book more than once?
Yes, The Color Purple by Alice Walker. That book gets me every time and I swear when I think some of the scenes won’t tug at my heart again, I fail. It’s such a profound read, I am sure it has served as a catalyst for my own style of writing.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
Prince Lestat by Anne Rice, in paperback.

Are there any new Authors that have seized your interest and why?
Amy Hale. Her new book Shadows of Jane has really captured my interest and I can’t wait to read it.

 Do you have any advice for other writers?
Read as much as you can, preferably in the genre you wish to write.
Join writing clubs, join a book club. Write every day, regardless of whether you are in the mood or not. You can be amazed at how wonderful a few lines can make you feel. But never force it. Allow your characters to speak to you.
Take time out. Remember to unwind: watch a film, eat a nice meal, and enjoy the company of those you love.
Don’t over analyse what you’ve written. Write the kind of books you want to read. Don’t allow other’s negativity to influence how you see yourself or your work.
Be the best representation of your work and above all else, enjoy the journey.

What are your pet peeves?
Bad manners, bad body odour, queues & bigots.

White wine or red?
White

Coffee or tea?
Coffee

What are 4 things you never leave home without?
Phone
Lipgloss
Hand Santizer
Chocolate

Laptop or desktop for writing?
Laptop

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?
I have a nice big office, so I am lucky and I prefer to write during the day now. I used to write at night, but since my husband works away all week, I’m home alone with five kiddies who need a mother who functions, and not a coffee stinking zombie.

 If you were deserted on an island, who are 3 famous people you would want with you?
Hmmm:
Chace Crawford
Graham Norton
Pink

One of your favourite quotes -
“But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” ~ William Butler Yeats

List 3 of your all-time favourite books?
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

List 3 of your all-time favourite movies?
The Shining
Deliverance
Beautiful Creatures

What is a movie or TV show that you watched recently and really enjoyed?
I am loving The Affair. It is sexy, sultry, captivating and utterly intriguing.

Please also list all books written if you would like them included as “Other Works By …” at the bottom of the post.
Other works by Julieanne:
Within the Shadows
Escaping Shadows
The Curse of the Rose
Bitter Kisses
An Early Winter 



Julieanne Lynch is an author of urban fantasy books for both adults and teens. Julieanne lives in Northern Ireland, with her husband and five children, where she works on novels full-time. Before becoming a writer, she considered a few different career paths, a rock star being one of them. She studied English Literature and Creative Writing at The Open University, and considered journalism as a career path. However, she decided writing was the way for her and is thankful for each day she lives her dream.














Blog A Novelists Ramblings




No comments:

Post a Comment